If the Galveston, TX, police department or another area law enforcement agency cites you for driving while intoxicated (DWI), the consequences could be severe. You do not have to try to navigate this process alone. The team at Eddington Worley Attorneys can help you build a strong defense and fight penalties that could include losing your driver’s license, going to jail, and paying significant fines.
Our legal team believes there is no reason anyone should have to fight a DWI or drunk driving charge on their own. We understand that people make mistakes and do not believe a mistake should cost you your job or education. Police officers make mistakes, too. Let us review the facts of your case today. Call (855) 600-6695 to get started.
Eddington Worley Attorneys Can Take on Your Galveston, TX, DWI Case
The team from Eddington Worley Attorneys can take on any type of DWI or drunk driving case. We understand Texas DWI penalties and we can help you fight for a more favorable outcome, no matter the circumstances that led to your arrest. You can count on us if:
- You refused to submit to blood alcohol concentration (BAC) testing
- You failed a breath or blood test after a traffic stop or accident
- You are under age 21 and refused BAC testing
- You are under age 21 and had detectable alcohol in your system
- You are accused of driving while drugged
- You had an open container in the car
- You were in a serious injury or fatality accident while drinking or drugged
We can handle even the most complex DWI and drunk driving cases. Call us today at (855) 600-6695 for a free consultation.
A DWI Conviction Can Mean Life-Disrupting Penalties in Texas
The state of Texas has strict laws in place when it comes to DWI and drugged driving. There is mandatory jail time for second and subsequent offenses, and your driver’s license will be automatically suspended after a DWI citation even if you aren’t convicted How long your license is suspended after a DWI conviction depends on the details of your case.
Consequences you will likely face if convicted of a DWI or related crime include:
- Jail time, including mandatory minimums for second and subsequent convictions
- A driver’s license suspension lasting up to 24 months
- Possible probation, called community supervision
- Community service
- Other mandatory actions as assigned by the court to maintain community supervision and avoid jail
It is important to note that the option of performing community supervision to cover the full jail sentence is only possible on the first conviction, but even cases where probation is not possible a Galveston DWI lawyer can help protect your rights and pursue the best possible outcome for your case.
The Texas Department of Public Safety Will Revoke Your License Automatically
The Texas Department of Public Safety (TX DPS) administers an automatic Administrative License Revocation (ALR) anytime a police officer in Texas writes a citation for DWI or a related offense. At the time of your citation, the arresting officer likely took your driver’s license away and told you that your suspension would begin in 40 days.
We encourage you to appeal this suspension. You have only 15 days following your arrest to request this appeal in writing. This will also extend your temporary permit during this period.
We will accompany you to the hearing and present evidence on your behalf. We can also get a glimpse of the evidence the police have against you and get a sneak peek at the prosecution’s case. These appeals are difficult to win, but we gain a lot of information about the case being made against you in the process.
Even if we are unable to reverse your ALR, we may be able to secure an occupational license on your behalf. This will allow you to drive to specific places, such as your job, while your license is otherwise suspended.
Eddington Worley Attorneys Will Fight for the Most Favorable Outcome Possible
When it comes to handling Texas DWI cases, the team from Eddington Worley Attorneys knows what it takes. We will discuss what happened with you, investigate to uncover as many of the circumstances surrounding your arrest as possible, and use the facts we learn to develop our defense strategy.
Every case has unique aspects, meaning every approach must be equally unique. There is no one-size-fits-all defense for beating a DWI or drunk driving charge or getting another favorable outcome. Some common strategies we can employ in these cases may include:
- Convincing the district attorney not to press charges against you
- Convincing the prosecution or the court to reduce or drop your charges
- Documenting how the police violated your rights during your stop or arrest
Documenting any issues with the BAC testing equipment or procedure
- Negotiating a deal for reckless driving or another lesser charge
- Taking your case to court and fighting for an acquittal
- Getting a probated sentence, if this is your preferred option
Defense strategies that end with no charges or dropped charges typically require us to uncover evidence that either proves your innocence or demonstrates errors made by the police during your arrest or BAC testing.
Talk to a Galveston, Texas DWI Attorney
Let a Galveston DWI lawyer from Eddington Worley Attorneys help protect your rights. We will review your case and discuss possible approaches with you. Call us at (855) 600-6695 to learn more or to get started today.