If you are facing a DWI charge, your entire future could be at stake. The legal penalties for a DWI in Wichita Falls are severe and can include thousands of dollars in fines, up to 180 days in jail, and the loss of your driver’s license. In addition to the legal penalties, you may risk your job, your education, and your financial future.
If you are facing a DWI charge, you want a Wichita Falls DWI lawyer who is committed to providing a comprehensive legal defense tailored to meet your needs and your unique situation. We can help. For a free legal consult, call Eddington Worley Attorneys today at 855-600-6695.
DWI Definition in Wichita Falls, Texas
Texas law defines DWI (driving while intoxicated) as “not having the normal use of mental of physical facilities” due to the introduction of drugs or alcohol or having a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 or higher.
By obtaining a driver’s license in Texas, you are providing “implied consent” to a chemical test to determine if you are intoxicated. This means you may lose your license for refusing to take a breathalyzer or similar test.
Understanding Wichita Falls DWI Penalties
Texas DWI penalties increase with each infraction. What many people do not realize is that all DWI convictions can lead to jail time—up to 180 days for the first offense. Here are the legal penalties you may face for a DWI conviction in Wichita Falls:
- Fines of up to $2,000
- Jail time of between 3-180 days
- Loss of driving privileges for up to 1 year
- Driver’s license fee of $1000 to $2,000 for three years after your conviction
- Fines of up to $4,000
- Jail time of between 30 and 365 days
- Loss of driving privileges for up to 2 years
- Annual driver’s license fee of up to $2,000 for the next three years
- Fines of up to $10,000
- Jail time between 2 and 10 years
- Loss of driving privileges for up to 2 years
- Annual fee of up to $2,000 a year to maintain your driver’s license for three years
If convicted of DWI with passengers under the age of 15, you may face up to $10,000 in fines, two years in jail, and the loss of your license for 180 days.
Enhanced Offenses Statute
Texas law outlines what they call “enhanced offenses,” which are charges that can increase the penalties when defendants are convicted on all accounts.
If you are charged with DWI, BWI (boating while intoxicated), FWI (flying while intoxicated), or assembling or operating an amusement park ride while intoxicated, these offenses can drastically increase the potential penalties.
Enhanced offenses include:
- Prior convictions of “while intoxicated” charges
- Intoxicated assault
- Intoxication manslaughter
- Injury or death of a firefighter, peace officer, or emergency medical personnel
If you are facing a DWI charge in Wichita Falls, Texas, your entire future may be at risk. For legal guidance, call Eddington Worley Attorneys at 855-600-6695 right away.
We Fight for You – Possible Defenses for Your Wichita Falls, TX DWI
After a DWI charge, you may feel hopeless. It is important to remember a charge is not a conviction. To convict you, the state prosecutor must meet a high burden of proof to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
Our team understands how DWI laws work in Texas, and has developed a strong defense strategy to help clients avoid conviction. Too often, innocent people end up in jail and face substantial financial burdens due to a wrongful conviction.
At Eddington Worley Attorneys, we will choose a defense strategy based on the unique details of your case. The most common defenses we employ include:
- Unlawful stop by the police
- Lack of probable cause to arrest
- Failure to advise you of your rights
- Inaccurate breathalyzer results
- Errors made during the test administration or test analysis
- Underlying medical condition results in skewed field sobriety tests
How Eddington Worley Attorneys Fights for Your Rights
Our team has a deep understanding of DWI laws and is prepared to fight for your right to a fair trial. We tailor our defense to each client and work hard to get the charges against you dismissed or the penalties reduced upon conviction.
When we take on your case, our services include:
- Clear, direct communication to keep you updated on the progress of your case
- Investigation of your case, including looking for eyewitnesses who saw the stop, pulling incident reports, and looking at the police officer’s history
- Building a strong case designed to create a reasonable doubt of your guilt
- Negotiate for a reduction or dismissal of charges
- Defend you in court, if needed
Your future may be at risk, but you do not have to face this challenging legal battle alone. Let us be your legal advocate.
Contact a Wichita Falls DWI Lawyer Today at 855-600-6695
Facing a DWI charge can be frightening. In addition to jail time, you may worry about the impact a conviction will have on your job, education, and family. The prosecutor may offer a deal, saying you can stay out of jail if you plead guilty.
However, they may fail to mention you could still face thousands of dollars in fines, the loss of driving privileges, and a conviction on your criminal record that will never go away.
Before you decide to accept a deal or make a statement, take the time to speak with a DWI attorney. We can help you understand all your options with a no-obligation consultation and case review.
Call 855-600-6695 to learn more about how a Wichita Falls, TX DWI lawyer can help defend you from a drunk driving charge.